Monday, April 7, 2014

Award Winning painting, "Meghan's Place"     pastel on Multimedia Artboard     16x20    framed
$450 + shipping

My Award winning painting "Megahn's Place"  is a 11 x 14 pastel on Multimedia Artboard.

I created  this painting from a photo of foliage sent to me from a friend, Meghan Seigner-Sullivan.  It is her backyard this past Fall in Portland, Oregon.  I was complaining to her about missing the beautiful fall foliage that I used to see in my childhood home,  Westchester County, New York.  We don't have any beautiful Fall colors to speak of here in Florida so I always used my memories of the hues of the fall New York.  Meghan sent this wonderful photo.  I painted a small version for her and sent it to her for Christmas.

I know that my painting doesn't look anything like Meghan's photo but I got my inspiration from her photo.  That is where music, imagination, and an artist's eye comes in.  I always listen to Classical music when I paint.  it seems to be the key that opens the door to my right brain, the seat of my imagination.  With my ear, hands, and eyes working in harmony an abstracted version of the photo results.

The Judge's Statement from the exhibition:  "Understate and technically accomplished use of pastel; this artist's subtle composition shifts between abstraction and illusion, jewel like color."
I like that!  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment